The 42nd annual Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon is officially underway, and WKYC has full coverage of the event.
MOBILE APP USERS: Tap here to watch WKYC's live coverage.
Last year's race saw a little bit of controversy with the men's winner being upheld after a challenge, and even some local love with the women's winner hailing from Westlake.
Here's a guide of everything you need to know about the race and Channel 3's coverage.
When is the race?
The Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K started at 7 a.m. The starting spot is on Ontario Street, at the northwest corner of Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, and the finish line will be at Detroit and Superior avenues before West 3rd Street.
What is the race course?
Check below for a full look at the marathon, half marathon, and 10K courses. If you cannot see it, click here.
How will traffic be affected?
The full marathon route is the same as last year and reaches as far west as west Lakewood and as far east as E. 17th Street. That means many roads will be closed, or partially closed, during the morning.
Here is a list of street closures (if you cannot see it, click here):
What will WKYC's coverage look like?
WKYC.com is streaming the marathon for four hours live on our site, on Facebook and on YouTube. In addition, coverage will also air live on Channel 3 News Today from 6-8 a.m. and again from 9-10 p.m.
Russ Mitchell, Sara Shookman, Toni Reavis and Christine Bowen will report live from the finish line, and Betsy Kling and Dave Chudowsky will also be seeking interviews around the race course. Will Ujek will report live from inside our satellite truck, while Maureen Kyle and Michael Estime handle things back at WKYC studios.
Where are recommended places to watch the race?
- Public Square (south end of square for start of race) Mile .3
- Playhouse Square - US Bank Plaza at Playhouse Square (E. 14th and Euclid Ave) Mile 1
- Flats - Main and Old River Road (By Beerhead and Coastal Taco Restaurants) Mile 2.8
- Lincoln Park - Starkweather and W. 14th, Tremont Mile 5.8
- By Market Garden Brewery (Parking lot) Runners on W. 24th. Mile 7.2 (full and half) Mile 4.5 (10K)
- Detroit Ave. Between W. 25th and 85th Street (Gordon Square Arts District) Miles 11 & 12 Half Marathon; Miles 24 & 25 Full Marathon; Mile 5 10K
- Lakewood Park (Lake Avenue and Belle in Lakewood) Mile 20.5
- Superior and W. 9th Mile 26
What is the weather looking like?
Morning: Mainly clear with a breeze.Temps near 70. Warm & humid. Hydration is super important! Spectators too.
Afternoon: Increasing clouds with showers and storms developing. Continued warm and humid. Mid 80s.
A cold front will sweep through all of northern Ohio late Sunday bringing a round of showers and storms, some of which may be on the strong side. We'll return to some cooler, more stable air Monday with highs in the 60s lakeside and 70s inland. We'll return to some warmth later next week as highs in the 70s and 80s will be common.
Photos from the race
We'll be updating these galleries throughout the day.