The Cleveland Orchestra is the latest organization to announce world-renowned conductor Charles Dutoit's withdrawal from performances in response to sexual misconduct allegations reported by The Associated Press.
That brings to five the number of major symphonies where Dutoit either has withdrawn or been removed — all within less than a day of accusations from three singers and one musician.
Dutoit had been set to lead concerts in Cleveland on Feb. 22-24.
“While we are not aware of any specific complaints related to Mr. Dutoit during his previous engagements with The Cleveland Orchestra, we are completely committed to providing a professional and safe workplace devoid of all forms of inappropriate conduct,” the orchestra said in a statement.
A replacement conductor will be announced at a later date.
Three opera singers and a classical musician say that Dutoit sexually assaulted them on the sidelines of rehearsals and performances in five U.S. cities.
The women told The Associated Press that Dutoit physically restrained them, sometimes thrust his tongue into their mouths, and in one case stuck one of their hands down his pants.
The four women say the incidents occurred between 1985 and 2010 in Chicago, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Philadelphia and Saratoga Springs, New York.
The 81-year-old Dutoit did not respond to multiple attempts seeking comment.