CLEVELAND — Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published when the 2022 Rock Hall induction nominees were first announced on Feb. 2, 2022.
One day after country star Dolly Parton announced her decision to bow out of the 2022 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction process, she remains listed on the Rock Hall’s site as a nominee while also earning thousands of new votes in the fan ballot.
“Even though I am extremely flattered and grateful to be nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, I don't feel that I have earned that right,” Parton posted on social media Monday morning. “I really do not want votes to be split because of me, so I must respectfully bow out. I do hope that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame will understand and be willing to consider me again - if I'm ever worthy. This has, however, inspired me to put out a hopefully great rock 'n' roll album at some point in the future, which I have always wanted to do!”
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame officials in Cleveland told 3News on Tuesday morning they do not have a statement or update on the situation at this time. Parton currently remains listed as a nominee on the Rock Hall’s site and is still receiving new votes in the fan ballot. The most recent post from the Rock Hall about Parton came on Sunday morning in which they tweeted about her nomination while calling her "the country crossover queen."
Parton remains in fourth place in the Rock Hall fan vote behind Duran Duran, Eminem and Pat Benatar with 286,141 votes as of 7:05 a.m. Tuesday (her tally was at 281,793 shortly after saying she was bowing out around 10:40 a.m. Monday). The five artists with the most votes will comprise a “fan ballot” that will be tallied with the other ballots when the 2022 inductees are selected.
The final list of 2022 inductees will officially be revealed in May with the ceremony to follow this fall.
Parton was announced as one of this year's 17 nominees last month. You can see the full list of 2022 Rock Hall nominees HERE.
MORE ROCK HALL COVERAGE:
- RELATED: Who's already inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? See the full list
- RELATED: Duran Duran maintains lead over Eminem in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame fan vote for 2022 induction
- RELATED: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2022 fan ballot: How you can vote for this year's inductees
- RELATED: Snubbed again: Dave Matthews Band not included in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 2022 induction nominees despite previously topping fan ballot
- RELATED: Mike Polk Jr. has some thoughts on keeping the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cleveland
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in a previous Rock and Roll Hall of Fame story on Feb. 11, 2022.