CLEVELAND — Voting is now closed in the 2023 Rock and Roll Hall Fame fan vote.
By early Friday morning, nearly 6 million votes were cast since the fan ballot opened in February -- and George Michael was holding the No. 1 spot.
So where do your favorite Rock Hall induction nominees rank in this year's fan vote? Here's a look at the list as of 4:45 a.m. on Friday, April 28, 2023.
- George Michael: 1,030,148 votes
- Cyndi Lauper: 918,158 votes
- Warren Zevon: 629,371 votes
- Iron Maiden: 446,519 votes
- Soundgarden: 423,816 votes
- Willie Nelson: 402,117 votes
- Kate Bush: 354,195 votes
- Sheryl Crow: 336,007 votes
- Joy Division / New Order: 332,930 votes
- The Spinners: 308,063 votes
- Rage Against The Machine: 277,003 votes
- The White Stripes: 202,712 votes
- Missy Elliott: 145,818 votes
- A Tribe Called Quest: 126,143 votes
The five artists with the most votes will comprise a “fan ballot” that's tallied with the other ballots when the 2023 inductees are officially selected. Those ultimately chosen for induction will be revealed in May.
The 2023 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony will take place this fall at a yet-to-be-announced date and location.
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in a previous Rock Hall article on Feb. 1, 2023.
So how did this group land on the nomination list? An individual artist or band must have released its first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination in order to be eligible, according to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
“Nominee ballots are sent to an international voting body of more than 1,000 artists, historian, and members of the music industry,” Rock Hall officials explain. “Factors such as an artist’s musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique are taken into consideration.”