OHIO, USA — Calling all high school singers!
How would you like a shot at a $10,000 scholarship for singing your favorite song?
The fifth annual Shining Star CLE competition is accepting video audition entries until Sunday 11:59 p.m.
The event benefits memory care programs at Menorah Park.
Entering is free, all musical genres are welcome.
Usually the show is at Playhouse Square, but because of the pandemic, this year's will be virtual again. Last year’s virtual program had more than 10,000 viewers.
The top four winners earn cash prizes. The winner’s High School also wins a cash prize.
Any high school student in grades 9 – 12 (as of September 2021) in Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, Summit, Stark and Wayne counties, including home-schooled students, are eligible to enter.
- 1ST PLACE WINNER of Shining Star CLE receives a $10,000 college scholarship plus the opportunity to perform with the Cleveland Pops Orchestra at Severance Hall.
- 2ND PLACE WINNER receives a $5,000 college scholarship
- 3RD PLACE WINNER receives a $2,500 college scholarship
- 4TH PLACE WINNER receives a $1,000 college scholarship
- BONUS PRIZE: $2,500 to the high school music department of the 1st place winner
Just record yourself singing your favorite song and upload your video audition here. Three minutes max • Piano accompaniment, personal instrument usage or acapella are preferred, but recorded accompaniment is allowed.
- Round 1: Online video auditions between April 1 and June 13, 2021
- Round 2: Virtual “live” auditions: June 28 & 29, 2021
- Round 3: Virtual Semifinals July 11, 2021
The Finals: SUNDAY, August 29, 2021 • 7 PM
Contestants will be judged by independent, accomplished, music professionals and supervised by Shining Star CLE Artistic Director Connor Bogart O’Brien.
*Editor's Note: The video in the player above is from a previous report.