AKRON, Ohio — The Akron Zoo recently welcomed a new baby gibbon to its ranks. Now, they need your help naming the adorable little creature!
One of the zoo's female adult gibbons, Parker, gave birth to a healthy white-cheeked baby back on Dec. 9. Now through Jan. 26 at 5 p.m., zoogoers can go online to choose between four different name selections for the infant.
The nominees are:
All of the choices are gender-neutral, as the sex of the baby is not yet known since it clings to its mother for several months after being born. Once voting closes, the baby's parents Parker and Milo will choose the ultimate winner through enrichment.
"This is the first baby for [Parker] and our male, Milo," the zoo wrote on Facebook. "The new family is doing well and is in the gibbon habitat daily!"
The contest is sponsored by Akron Children's Hospital. Those wishing to vote can do so here.
- The COVID connection: Humans and deer
- Coby, cheetah ambassador dog at Columbus Zoo, passes away
- Date set for 'Tiger King' Joe Exotic resentencing
- Once extinct in nature, Mexican fish returns to wild
- Tiger shot, killed after biting man's arm at Florida zoo
- Columbus Zoo and Aquarium announces new COVID-19 precautions