CLEVELAND, Ohio — November is World Vegan Month and this week on What’s New, Matt Wintz dishes up a vegan staple in his home: apple hemp muffins. Both Stephanie Haney and Wintz eat vegan, so the two decided to show each other one of their favorite things to make – for either breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Here is what you’ll need:
•1 1/2 cups whole-grain flour
•1 cup almond flour
•3/4 cup hemp seeds
•2 tsp baking powder
•1/4 tsp sea salt
•2 tsp cinnamon
•1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
•1 cup unsweetened applesauce
•1/3 cup pure maple syrup
•3/4 cup plain or vanilla unsweetened almond milk
•1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
To make the crumble topping: (optional, but highly recommended)!
•6 Tbsp. almond flour
•2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
•3 Tbsp. brown sugar or coconut sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flours, hemp seeds, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg) and stir.
2. In another bowl, combine applesauce, maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla, and mix.
3. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, and gently fold and mix through, until just combined, careful not to over mix.
4. Spoon the mixture into a muffin pan lined with cupcake liners (this will fill 12 muffins full).
5. To make the crumble, combine the flour, melted coconut oil, and brown sugar in a small bowl. Mix with a fork until crumbly. Top each muffin with a sprinkle of crumble.
6. Bake for 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
MORE FOOD-RELATED STORIES:
RELATED: Trattner's Table for 2: Cru Uncorked