CLEVELAND — Lent begins Wednesday, which means millions of Catholics and other Christians across America will be abstaining from meat both today and every Friday through Apr. 10.
WKYC Studios has been working to help those affected find some great options (see our Fish Fry Guide), and today, we also gave you a delicious recipe you can try at home. Chef April Thompson (whose clients include Baker and Emily Mayfield) stopped by What's New to share the formula for a vegetarian southwestern egg roll.
Here's what you'll need:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh corn kernels
- ¼ cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup rice, prepared as directed
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeños
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- ½ cup of your favorite meat substitute, shredded or chopped
- 5 eggroll wrappers
- 1 quart oil for deep frying
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm meat substitute with 1 tsp oil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in green onion and red pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until tender.
- Mix in corn, black beans, jalapeno peppers, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until well blended and tender. Remove from heat and stir in Monterey Jack cheese so that it melts.
- Spoon even amounts of the mixture into each eggroll wrapper. Fold ends of wrapper, then roll tightly around mixture. Secure with egg wash around the edges. Arrange in a medium dish, cover with plastic, and place in the freezer. Freeze at 30 minutes.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat oil for deep frying to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Deep fry frozen, stuffed eggrolls 5-7 minutes each, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels before serving.
Chipotle dipping sauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt or crème fraiche
- 1-2 small chipotles in adobo, seeds removed
- 1 clove garlic
- Add juice of 1 lime
- Add salt to taste