AKRON, Ohio — Halloween is right around the corner, and the city of Akron is preparing for the spooky season by hosting a variety of events throughout the month of October -- including a special screening of Hocus Pocus.
Here are the highlights…
First up, the city has announced that trick-or-treat night will be held throughout Akron from 5-7 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 29.
Akron police will be out “to promote a safe and successful celebration for all.”
Based on Akron City Council ordinance, trick-or-treat is always held on the last Saturday in October.
Those participating are asked to turn on their porch lights.
The city will host a series of free movie screenings at 7:30 p.m. as listed below (guests are encouraged to bring a chair and a blanket)…
- Saturday, Oct. 1: Dora and the Lost City of Gold. Screening at Cascade Plaza (1 West Mill Street)
- Saturday, Oct. 8: Cruella. Screening at Cascade Plaza
- Saturday, Oct. 15: Gremlins. Screening on top of Mocha Maiden parking deck (next to MUSICA off East Market Street between High and Main)
- Saturday, Oct. 22: Hocus Pocus. Screening at Cascade Plaza
- Saturday, Oct. 29: Rocky Horror Picture Show. Screening on top of Mocha Maiden parking deck
The Downtown Akron Partnership will host the Fall Fest on Saturday, Oct. 22 from 5-9 p.m. with trick-or-treating along Main Street, pumpkin, decorating, music and more.
There will be Trick or Treating along Main Street from 5 to 7 p.m., as well as pumpkin decorating, music, fire pits, vendors and more at Cascade Plaza.
Free Activities include:
- 10+ trick-or-treating stations
- Free photobooth
- Roaming magician
- Pumpkin decorating
- Face painting by Imani Brantley
- Local music from Mo' Mojo
- Fire pit lounge
Available for purchase:
- Local craft brews and specialty beverages
- Totally Baked Pizza
- Lepley & Co. flowers
- Essential Dipped Delights desserts
- Bereka Coffee food and drinks
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in a previous story on July 29, 2022.