Breaking News
More () »

'Justice for Aliza' holds virtual remembrance ceremony on Tuesday

It's been seven years since Cleveland Clinic nurse Aliza Sherman's brutal murder.

CLEVELAND — March 24 marks a sad anniversary.

It's been seven years since Cleveland Clinic nurse Aliza Sherman was murdered near the Galleria in downtown Cleveland, and this year—as in years past—her loved ones were determined to connect in her memory.

They've always met at the spot of the crime, outside 75 Erieview Plaza. With Ohio's stay-at-home order in place, her daughter Jennifer Rivchun knew that wouldn't be possible in 2020. 

"As difficult as a situation it is, the world today, and today itself, in our world, I’m grateful for the opportunity for us all to be able to connect in that way and remember my mom," Rivchun said.

"We’ve all tried to improvise [these last few weeks] and connect through social media and virtually, and I thought, I’ve been focusing a lot on gratitude. I am grateful for this opportunity to connect this evening…and have a lot of other people there who would probably like to be at our memorials, more frequently. But because of distance and travel, they haven’t been able to. And they’ll be able to be a part of it tonight."

Rivchun and others who banded together in the "Justice for Aliza" movement gathered on Zoom at 5 p.m. Tuesday. They planned a brief ceremony, moment of silence, and then time for everyone involved to share a memory or one thing they're grateful for, during these challenging times. 

"We know Aliza's bright light and beautiful spirit will inspire gratitude and hope in us all," Jennifer wrote on the Facebook page.

All were welcome to join in the virtual ceremony by clicking here. Rivchun is also asking people to share a photo or comment with the hashtag #GratefulforAliza. 

On March 24, 2013, Aliza Sherman was stabbed to death eleven times in broad daylight outside 75 Erieview Plaza. It was just after 5 p.m. on a Sunday.

At the time, Sherman was in the heat of a bitter divorce battle. The mother of four was downtown visiting her attorney, Gregory Moore, but the two never met.

Texting her both before and after her death, Moore told Sherman he was in his office, when in fact he was not. The proof later came from key cards and phone records a grand jury used to indict him, and Moore admitted to a judge that he lied. In exchange, a series of charges were dropped.

But those admissions seem to have given little insight. Though police say they have people of interest, they never named a suspect.

Cleveland Police tell 3News there are no new updates on the case.

RELATED: Fighting for Aliza Sherman

RELATED: Aliza Sherman's attorney sentenced to 180 days in jail

Paid Advertisement

Before You Leave, Check This Out