CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Division of Police is investigating a fatal shooting that took place Wednesday morning in the 400 block of East 148th Street during an attempted burglary.
According to police, the incident happened around 9:30 a.m. when officers responded to the scene and found a 39-year-old male lying on the floor of a residence with a gunshot wound to the head.
Police talked with the caller, a 22-year-old female who shot the man during the break-in, and were able to discover that the man lived in the upstairs residence of the home and was attempting to forcefully enter her downstairs residence.
The female armed herself with a firearm and fired, striking the male intruder.
Police say the 22-year-old has been released pending further investigation into the shooting.
The matter remains under investigation at this time.
This is a developing story. Check back with 3News for updates.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES:
- RELATED: Cleveland mayoral candidate Dennis Kucinich endorsed by Teamsters Ohio DRIVE
- RELATED: Cleveland: Man to be sentenced August 11 for kidnapping a teen, impersonating a police officer
- RELATED: University of Akron to require masks be worn in indoor public areas
- RELATED: Lake County Sheriff announces name of suspect arrested in Dine and Dance shooting
- RELATED: Return of the mask: List of stores and institutions in Northeast Ohio that are going back to mask mandates
- RELATED: 'Cleveland, this is for you!' Katie Nageotte channels LeBron James after gold medal-winning jump