CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Division of Police is investigating a fatal shooting that took place in the early morning hours of Monday on the city's east side.
Officers were called for a report of shots fired and a person down on the ground at about 3:30 a.m. in the 2200 block of East 79th Street. When police arrived, they found EMS tending to a female who had been shot in the chest.
The woman was pronounced deceased. She has been identified by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office as 47-year-old Latrice Burke.
The homicide unit of the Cleveland Division of Police was called to investigate.
Police say preliminary information suggests Burke approached a car on the passenger side and was shot. A person of interest has been identified and arrested. The name of the person of interest has not yet been released, but police say he is a 53-year-old male.
The incident remains under investigation.
This is a developing story. Stay with 3News for more details as they become available.
- Authorities to launch 'OVI Saturation Patrol' on Thanksgiving Eve in Medina County
- Victims identified in fatal Geauga County crash that killed 5, injured 3 more
- Woman struck and killed by dump truck in Lakewood
- Cleveland Police seek help identifying suspect in armed robbery that left one injured
- Cuyahoga County to receive $4.2 million in grants to hire more police officers
- Woman dies after Jeep overturns in North Olmsted crash: Police release new details from the incident
- Bond set at $1 million for man arrested in connection with Amber Alert from Stark County involving 5-year-old girl