CLEVELAND — A Cuyahoga County corrections officer has been arrested for a reported sexual assault that took place at the county jail, Sheriff Paul Viland confirmed Tuesday.
Officer Andre Julius Bacsa is charged with one count each of rape and kidnapping, with the alleged crimes taking place back on June 17 against an unnamed inmate. The 34-year-old is currently being held at the same jail on a $100,000 bond.
"The care and protection of our jail detainees is of paramount concern," Viland said in a statement. "It is never acceptable to violate people's rights as an employee of the Sheriff's Department, and we continue with our pledge to proactively ensure that our staff serves at a high standard and is held strictly accountable."
Bacsa, who was hired in March of 2019, has been placed on administrative leave pending the results of both the criminal and departmental investigations. Viland adds that the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office is still considering additional charges against Bacsa.
- 4 Cleveland police officers fired, 1 suspended following investigations into 5 separate incidents
- 3News Investigates obtains dashcam video from Mansfield police shooting
- 3News Investigates: COVID-19 outbreak hits female inmates inside Medina County Jail
- Cleveland mayor’s aide accused of rape is back in jail after bond revoked
- Family of inmate who died in Cuyahoga County Jail files wrongful death lawsuit
- 2 former Cuyahoga County Jail correction officers sentenced in corruption cases