MAYFIELD HEIGHTS, Ohio — The Mayfield Heights Police Department is investigating the fatal shooting of a 29-year-old man.
On April 1, officials were dispatched to the The Drake Apartments, located in the 6500 block of Marsol Road, for reports of an unwanted guest. Before officers could arrive, dispatched received several calls reporting gunshots being fired at the same apartment complex.
At the scene, police discovered the body of 29-year-old Christian Merritt of Maple Heights.
Police have arrested 21-year-old Davon Townsend of Cleveland, in connection with the fatal shooting. He has been charged with murder.
Officials have not released a motive for shooting. The incident remains under investigation. The Mayfield Heights Police Department is being assisted by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations.
Stay with 3News for more details as they become available.
*Editor's Note: The video in the player above originally aired on January 4, 2021.
- RELATED: Coroner: Stone Foltz died of 'fatal ethanol intoxication' during hazing incident in a BGSU 'fraternity induction ritual'
- RELATED: Former Columbus Zoo director Jack Hanna diagnosed with dementia, family says
- RELATED: Nina Turner endorsed by several former Ohio elected-officials in race for 11th Congressional District seat
- RELATED: Popular 'Van Gogh Exhibition' coming to Cleveland in September; tickets on sale Friday
- RELATED: Tiger Woods was driving 40 mph over speed limit before crash, LA Sheriff says
- RELATED: Special assistant to Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson charged with five counts of rape
- RELATED: Jill Biden announces next steps for military family program