SOUTH EUCLID, Ohio — Police in South Euclid are investigating a homicide that took place Monday evening.
According to Chief of Police Joe Mays, the incident happened around 5 p.m. in the 1300 block of Sheffield Road. Officers arrived after a report of shots fired and found several people at the scene, including one victim with a stab wound to his chest.
Mays reports the victim was transported to Cleveland Clinic Hillcrest Hospital in Mayfield Heights, but did not survive. He has since been identified as 30-year-old Xavier Pickens, of Akron.
"We do not believe this was a random event," Mays added in the release.
Tuesday morning, authorities identified the suspect as 32-year-old Riley Wayne Buckhanon, a South Euclid resident who apparently lived in the same building as Pickens. He is described as being 5-foot-8 and weighing 175 points with black hair and brown eyes.
If you see Buckhanon, you are advised to "approach with caution." Anyone with information regarding his whereabouts is asked to immediately call South Euclid Det. Lt. Rick Friedl at (216) 691-4254 or email him at email@example.com.
- 'This is a nightmare': 16-month-old Akron girl mauled to death by pit bull
- Operation Ohio Knows: Ohio task force announces 161 arrests, 10 missing children recovered in human trafficking operation
- Suspect injured after being shot by Garfield Heights police; investigation under way
- Elderly man killed in single-vehicle crash in Stark County Saturday morning
- Cleveland police: 1 dead, 1 hospitalized after Wednesday night shooting in Cleveland
- More than half of US police killings are unreported in federal database, study says
- Officials investigating after shots fired in the area of a Cleveland police training facility Thursday night
- 16-year-old boy arrested in Green shooting
- Body of missing Florida college student found, prime suspect dead
- Students seen taking photos with "gun" in Akron Firestone CLC bathroom sparks investigation, increased security