Breaking News
More () »

Suspect fatally shot by police following SWAT stand-off in Lake County

The names of both the suspect and the victim are being withheld by officials at this time.

LAKE COUNTY, Ohio — A suspect is dead after being shot by police in Lake County during an hours-long stand-off that involved a SWAT team.

According to the Lake County Sheriff's Office, dispatch received a call for a man at home on Leroy-Center Road in Leroy Township stating that her was going to "kill someone." 

Officers were sent to the home and at the scene, they were met by an armed man who was holding a woman hostage at gun point. 

The suspect, who was later identified as a 57-year-old man, was convinced by officers to released the hostage, identified as a 60-year-old woman. She was able to walk to the end of the driveway while the armed man returned inside. 

According to the woman, the man arrived at the home around to confront her about their relationship. Around 3 a.m. the woman recalls the man assaulting her, including stabbing her multiple times. She was transported to a local hospital for treatment. There is no word on her condition at this time. 

The Lake County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team responded to the scene and for the next four to five hours, negotiators spoke with the suspect in hopes of ending the situation peacefully. 

During the negotiations, the man would appear in the windows of the home, armed with a long gun and a hand gun. He often pointed them out the window, officers reported. He was also observed breaking windows and pouring what appeared to be gasoline inside the home. 

Around 9 a.m., the man began starting fires inside the home and later exited to the backyard after the house became filled with smoke. Once outside, the man who had his finger on his weapon's trigger, was asked by officers to put down the weapon. 

Failing to comply, officers fired "non-lethal rounds" at the man but they had no effect. As police moved closer to the suspect in an effort prevent his escape, the suspect aimed his gun at the officers and they fired in self defense. 

EMS responded to the scene and transported the suspect to Tri-Point Hospital where he later died.

The names of both the suspect and the victim are being withheld by officials at this time.

This is a developing story and the shooting remains under investigation. Multiple agencies will he handling the investigation including the Lake County Sheriff’s office, the Lake County AIU (Arson Investigative Unit),  BCI, and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation.

Paid Advertisement

Before You Leave, Check This Out