CLEVELAND — Editor's note: Video in the player at the top of this story was originally published from a previous court hearing in this case on Feb. 10, 2022.
The trial for Tamara McLoyd, the 18-year-old woman charged in the murder of Cleveland police officer Shane Bartek, is currently set to begin on Monday, July 25 at 9 a.m. McLoyd will turn 19 three days after the trial starts.
The case has been assigned to John P. O’Donnell in the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas.
McLoyd has been in custody since her arrest in the New Year’s Eve shooting death of officer Bartek. She has pleaded not guilty to multiple charges in the case, which include aggravated murder, murder and aggravated robbery, among others.
It was determined last month that the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office was not seeking the death penalty against McLoyd.
"After both thoroughly reviewing the case and consulting with Officer Bartek’s family, the Capital Review Committee made the decision not to seek capital charges," a spokesperson for the prosecutor's office told 3News back on March 3.
Officer Bartek, 25, was shot in the parking lot of an apartment complex in the 4300 block of Rocky River Drive around 6 p.m. on Dec. 31. He was a two-year veteran with the Cleveland Police Department.
He was laid to rest at Holy Cross Cemetery in January.
“Shane proudly served the 5th District and was a member of the ‘145,’ according to his obituary. “He was an avid basketball and soccer enthusiast. Shane was one to never miss an opportunity to spend quality time with his family and friends. He will be greatly missed by all.”
PREVIOUS COVERAGE IN THE CASE:
- RELATED: Woman charged with killing Cleveland police officer Shane Bartek faces judge in unrelated arson case
- RELATED: Cuyahoga County prosecutors will not seek death penalty in murder of Cleveland police officer Shane Bartek
- RELATED: Man pleads not guilty after police chase arrest involving stolen vehicle connected to slain Cleveland officer Shane Bartek
- RELATED: 3News Exclusive | Fallen Cleveland police officer Shane Bartek's twin sister remembers him
- RELATED: 'He has always been my idol': Twin sister gives touching tribute during funeral for fallen Cleveland police officer Shane Bartek
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published on Jan. 11, 2022.