ELYRIA, Ohio — A 41-year-old man is dead and his 22-year-old son is in custody following a shooting in northern Elyria late Monday night.
Police responded to reports of shots fired in the area near the 1400 block of Gulf Road around 11:15 p.m. When officers arrived on the scene, they found a 1998 Chevrolet Camaro directly in front of a house, and a man was sitting dead in the driver's seat with multiple gunshot wounds.
The victim has been identified as Elyria resident Lamar Hudson Sr.
On Tuesday afternoon, Elyria police announced that they had apprehended 22-year-old Lamar Hudson Jr. of Lorain on aggravated murder charges in the death of his father. Hudson Jr. was taken to the Lorain County Sheriff's jail and will make an appearance in court on Wednesday.
Mayor Frank Whitfield confirms Lamar Hudson Sr. was a sergeant in the U.S. Army, and offered his condolences in a Facebook post.
"He was [proud] of his daughter representing Elyria at the Memorial Day parade," Whitfield said of Hudson. "My prayers go out to his family and friends. Help us bring justice to this situation."
The Elyria Police Detectives are asking those with any additional information to immediately call Det. Zachary Kasperovich at (440) 326-1213, or email him at email@example.com.
- WATCH LIVE: Funeral Mass for former Bishop of Cleveland Anthony Pilla at Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist
- Ohio abortion ‘trigger bill’ coming to Senate committee
- Ohio State providing students with free personal safety devices amid increase in crime near campus
- California bans state-funded travel to Ohio over anti-LGBTQ+ legislation concerns
- Bedford's Heskett Middle School goes all-remote for rest of week after COVID-19 leads to staffing shortage