WADSWORTH, Ohio — Police on Wednesday arrested another suspect in connection with the disappearance murder of an Akron man almost a year ago.
Walter Render IV, of Mentor, is the eighth person charged in the case of Iron Cannon, whose body was located earlier this month outside Youngstown. The 29-year-old Render faces allegations of gross abuse of a corpse, engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity, obstructing justice, and tampering with evidence.
Cannon, 27, had been feared dead since October of 2020, when authorities say he was shot and killed at an apartment on the north end of Wadsworth. Crews had been searching for him ever since before finally pulling his remains from Mahoning County's Lake Milton this past Sept. 12.
"Throughout the investigation, detectives learned of an intricate cover-up, which consisted of significant efforts to mislead law enforcement," the Wadsworth Police Department said in a statement. "These efforts included the destruction of and tampering with evidence, including Mr. Cannon’s remains."
Of the seven others currently indicted in Cannon's death, 29-year-old Uniontown resident Justin D. Hornbeck is believed to be the one that fired the fatal shots, as he is currently the only suspect facing murder charges. Six more people are accused of a variety of lesser crimes:
- Tyrone L. Render, 28, of Wooster: Tampering with Evidence with Firearm Specification, Obstructing Justice, Having Weapons Under Disability, Gross Abuse of a Corpse, Engaging in a Pattern of Corrupt Activity
- Autumn M. Knight, 28, of Cuyahoga Falls: Tampering with Evidence, Obstructing Justice, Gross Abuse of a Corpse, Engaging in a Pattern of Corrupt Activity
- Marcus Y. Clark, 55, of Akron: Tampering with Evidence, Obstructing Justice, Gross Abuse of a Corpse, Engaging in a Pattern of Corrupt Activity
- Christopher J. Williams, 33, of Akron: Tampering with Evidence, Obstructing Justice, Gross Abuse of a Corpse, Engaging in a Pattern of Corrupt Activity
- Samantha P. McCune, 28, of Uniontown: Obstructing Justice
- Antonio W. Moore, 39, of Akron: Obstructing Justice
Render is currently being held in the Medina County Jail on $500,000 bond. A court date has not been set.