Breaking News
More () »

Woman charged for Akron funeral procession crash that killed 2 children

Tynicka Allen has been charged with causing the crash that killed two boys, including her son, during an Akron funeral procession.

AKRON, Ohio — The Akron Police Department has announced that a 30-year-old woman has turned herself in and faces charges for her role in the funeral procession crash that killed two children, including her son, last year.

Investigators determined that Tynicka Allen was the driver of the Chrysler 200 that was involved in a crash with a Chevy Impala during a funeral procession on October 6. The crash took place on South Arlington Street near 6th Avenue. 

Police say Allen was driving recklessly while her 12-year-old son, Tymar, and 6-year-old nephew, Trevond Walker Jr., were both hanging out of the car window. Upon impact, both children were ejected from the vehicle. Tymar Allen died within hours of the crash, while Walker died days later.

The driver of the Chevrolet Impala fled the scene.

"It is unfortunate that in the moment, for whatever reason, she chose to conduct herself in that fashion," said Lt. Michael Miller of the Akron Police Department. "But specifically, to allow one or more children to hang out the car and those types of things.”

Police now say "based on additional information developed and considering the additional facts and circumstances," Allen has been deemed responsible for the fatal crash. She turned herself into police on Tuesday afternoon and was arrested and charged for the following:

  • Aggravated Vehicular Homicide
  • Aggravated Vehicular Assault
  • Driving Under Suspension
  • Child Endangering
  • Reckless Operation
  • Speeding
  • Failure to Control

On Thursday, Allen was at an arraignment hearing where she entered a plea of not guilty. She has 24 hours to turn herself into the Summit County Jail, or else a warrant for her arrest and bond will be issued.

Allen's appearance in court can be watched below:

Lt. Miller says although different communities grieve differently, the deaths of the children were 100% preventable.

'We ask the community again to please just be mindful of the people you love most and even the people around you," he added. "Please secure them inside the car and keep them inside the car where they are safer. Please try and make the best decisions, especially when you are grieving."

Shortly after the collision, an altercation between others connected to the procession led to at least one gunshot being fired, and more gunfire was later heard nearby. A 19-year-old man later drove himself to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Body camera video released weeks after the crash showed the raw emotion and heartbreak for many family members and loved ones after the tragic accident.

According to police, witnesses saw cars in the funeral procession driving recklessly, swerving in and out of lanes with people hanging out of the windows.

The footage shows officers canvassing the neighborhood, interviewing witnesses. One witness shares her cell phone video that showed the procession.

"You can like see all the people hanging out the cars," a witness told police.

Moments later, more shots were fired nearby, adding even more chaos and fear as the crowd ran for cover.

"Get down, get down," officers shout in the video.

Police ran towards the gunfire, but couldn't find the scene of that shooting or anyone injured.

The video shows some officers who stopped a vehicle that matched the description of one that was involved. They searched the passengers and let them go.

3News' Bri Buckley and Tyler Carey contributed to this story

Before You Leave, Check This Out