AKRON, Ohio — 26-year-old Andrew Walls, the Kent man charged in connection with an attack in Akron that was captured on video last month, is now being sued by one of his alleged victims.
Cameron Morgan filed a lawsuit last week in Summit County Common Pleas Court seeking compensatory and punitive damages in excess of $25,000. The lawsuit says the 23-year-old Morgan "suffered personal injuries, incurred medical expenses, was required to seek medical care" and more as a result of Walls' acts.
Video of the February 28 incident was shared widely across social media showing Walls calling a woman the N-word before punching her. Morgan went to the hospital with a busted lip and a concussion as a result of the incident. She told 3News that she was out with friends in Highland Square when she came across a man who was calling people the N-word.
She says she tried to get him to stop, but then he sucker-punched her.
Police later determined that Walls, who has been publicly associated with the Proud Boys in the past, proceeded to hit a second woman and have filed two assault charges against him, as well as a charge of using weapons while intoxicated.
Earlier this month, Akron police officials told 3News that the FBI is also investigating to determine if Walls should be charged with a hate crime.
National and local organizations, including the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Akron chapter of the NAACP, are calling on federal law enforcement to press full charges against Walls for committing a hate crime.
"Violence against women, first of all, was cowardly. Period. Violence in this case is a hate crime, period. We cannot accept it, we won't accept it. It cannot keep going on like this," said Judi Hill, President of the Akron NAACP. "We have to let people know that this isn't acceptable, not just in Akron, but anywhere."