WASHINGTON D.C., DC — Four Northeast Ohio schools are being recognized nationally after they were designated as National Blue Ribbon Schools, which honors high academic achievement and progress in closing achievement gaps.
The Blue Ribbon honors, announced by U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona, is one of the biggest nationwide honors a school can receive.
Thirteen schools in Ohio and 297 in the U.S. received the honors. The following are the four schools in Northeast Ohio that received the award:
- Watson Elementary School
- Sauder Elementary School
- Grace L. Roxbury Elementary School
- Isham Memorial Elementary School
“I applaud all the honorees for the 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools Award for creating vibrant, welcoming, and affirming school communities where students can learn, grow, reach their potential, and achieve their dreams,” said Secretary Cardona. “As our country continues to recover from the pandemic, we know that our future will only be as strong as the education we provide to all of our children. Blue Ribbon Schools have gone above and beyond to keep students healthy and safe while meeting their academic, social, emotional, and mental health needs. These schools show what is possible to make an enduring, positive difference in students’ lives.”
Here are the other Ohio schools that made the list:
- Village Middle School
- South Range Elementary School
- Oakwood Junior High School
- Hicksville Elementary School
- Olentangy High School
- Lynchburg-Clay Elementary School
- Seaborn Elementary School
- Port Washington Elementary School
- Versailles Elementary School
Each year, up to 420 schools are nominated by the top education official in all states, the District of Columbia, U.S. territories, the Department of Defense Education Activity, and the Bureau of Indian Education.
The Council for American Private Education nominates private schools for the award.
According to the U.S. Department of Education, the winners are based on the following criteria:
- Exemplary High-Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
A complete list of the 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools can be viewed HERE.