x
Breaking News
More () »

Parma students return to the classroom full-time

"It did almost have that first day of school buzz to it again."

PARMA, Ohio — Students in Parma City Schools were welcomed back into class on Monday with a sunrise breakfast and some entertainment by the band! 

Dr. Charles Smialek, Parma Schools Superintendent, says staff wanted to make the day feel special.

“Despite the fact that we’ve been in some shape or form educating students since September, it did almost have that first day of school buzz to it again,” says Dr. Smialek.

While 24% of students are choosing to continue virtual learning, the other 76% will be back in class five days a week. School leaders have made it clear that everyone needs to wear a face mask, use hand sanitizer, and social distance.

“Our students have been extremely respectful of all of the policies and procedures we put into place. I think everyone realizes that if we want some semblance of normalcy, we have to be careful,” says Dr. Smialek.

The Parma City School system still has a plan in place in case any student, faculty, or staff member is suspected of or catches COVID-19.

“If there is some kind of issue, we want to use the scalpel, not the axe model. We want to make sure that we close a unit or a team of classrooms, but not an entire school and certainly not an entire district,” says Dr. Smialek.

Dr. Smialek says all schools will maintain the enhanced cleaning and disinfecting procedures put into place during Covid. 3News also confirmed today that students will get an in-person prom and an in-person graduation this year.

More headlines:

Paid Advertisement

Before You Leave, Check This Out