AKRON, Ohio — Cleveland Clinic Akron General has confirmed it has added a refrigerated trailer on site to use when the hospital’s morgue becomes full.
According to Akron General, the hospital's regular morgue holds 11 people and the trailer can accommodate up to an additional 25 people. The trailer was brought in on Dec. 3 and was first used that following weekend.
Hospital officials provided the following statement below:
"Akron General has had a refrigerated trailer on site since early December for use when the hospital's morgue becomes full. We are seeing many unvaccinated patients with COVID-19 and patients without COVID-19 who are coming to the hospital sicker than normal because of delayed care due to the pandemic."
- Ohio health officials give COVID update as cases and hospitalizations rise statewide with Christmas approaching
- What is going on with the rise in COVID-19 cases, vaccinations? 3News asks Northeast Ohio doctors
- Cleveland Browns' breakthrough cases highlight larger community COVID concerns
- MetroHealth reports all-time high number of COVID-19 hospitalizations, testing positivity rate
- Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, First Lady Fran DeWine, exposed to COVID-19; both test negative
- Northeast Ohio hospitals seeing another surge in COVID-19 patients
- Ohio to add backlog of COVID-19 cases to daily case counts Dec. 14-16
- COVID-19 in Ohio: State reports 11,803 new cases, including backlogged reports