Cleveland – The Cleveland Clinic Wednesday released what their medical experts believe will be the “Top Ten” advancements with “the power to transform healthcare in 2019”.
Dr. Michael Roizen lead a panel of experts that tackled, among other areas of interest – Artificial Intelligence, using gene research to predict opioid addiction and the advancement of robots in the surgery room.
With Ohio largely at the center of the opioid epidemic, Dr. Jennifer Hockings of the Clinic’s Genomic Medicine Institute described how in the same way genes can tell us what color our eyes or hair will be – it can forecast how our bodies will metabolize certain drugs.
“The idea would be to minimize or eliminate unnecessary prescriptions out there,” Hockings said.
The clinic is also looking at trying alternative approaches to Opioid addiction by way of food choices, aromatherapy, stress management and shared medical appointments.
Here are the Top 10 Medical Innovations of 2019 in order of anticipated performance:
1. Alternative Therapy for Pain: Fighting the Opioid Crisis
2. The Advent of AI in Healthcare
3. Expanded Window for Acute Stroke Intervention
4. Advances in Immunotherapy for Cancer Treatment
5. Patient-Specific Products Achieved with 3D Printing
6. Virtual and Mixed Reality for Medical Education
7. Visor for Prehospital Stroke Diagnosis
8. Innovation in Robotic Surgery
9. Mitral and Tricuspid Valve Percutaneous Replacement and Repair
10. RNA-Based Therapies