CLEVELAND — Editor's note: Video at the top of this story was originally published on Feb. 26, 2021.
When it comes to health care, the Cleveland Clinic is one of the best in the world. That designation comes as Newsweek just released its list of the “World’s Best Hospitals” for 2021, which ranks Cleveland Clinic at No. 2 once again. The list, which Newsweek says covers 25 countries, was built based on the following categories:
1. Hospital recommendations from medical experts: An international online survey that included more than 74,000 doctors, hospital managers and health care professionals.
2. Patient experience: Surveys measuring patient satisfaction.
3. Medical key performance indicators: Patient safety, hygiene measures and quality of treatment.
The Newsweek ranking also placed a handful of other Cleveland Clinic locations among the best in the world as follows:
- Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital: 41
- Cleveland Clinic Florida-Weston: 57
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General Hospital: 112
- Cleveland Clinic Hillcrest Hospital: 137
- Cleveland Clinic Lutheran Hospital: 314
- Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital: 321
“Of course we hope that we, and you, won't need to seek care or visit a friend or family member in any hospital this year,” said Newsweek’s Nancy Cooper, the global editor-in-chief. “But if you do, this ranking of the World's Best Hospitals 2021 can help you feel confident as you make a critical choice about medical care.”
So what topped the list? Here is Newsweek’s top 5 for best hospitals worldwide:
- Mayo Clinic: Rochester, Minnesota
- Cleveland Clinic: Cleveland, Ohio
- Massachusetts General Hospital: Boston, Massachusetts
- Toronto General – University Health Network: Toronto, Canada
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital: Baltimore, Maryland
Last summer, Cleveland Clinic was named the second-best hospital in all of America – and No. 1 for heart care – according to rankings by U.S. News & World Report. They also reached No. 2 on Newsweek's list last year.