COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine turned to pop culture for a moment when discussing the ongoing battle against the COVID-19 pandemic.
“I’ve talked about being a fan of the Back to the Future movies, which kind of dates me, I guess, but they’re still fun to watch,” DeWine said during Thursday’s press conference. “The point is there’s alternative futures. There always are. It’s which pathway we take, what we do. Having the best information so that Ohioans can make those decisions is what we owe to the public.”
His Back to the Future reference came when discussing how the decisions Ohioans make today will impact the weeks ahead amid coronavirus.
“We should not fear,” DeWine said. “We should not live our lives in fear. What we should be is what Ohioans have always been, and that is optimistic about the future. We have been a people who have felt that we can control our destiny. We can control the future. What we do in the next 30 days is going to determine if we’re going to be able to do all the things that we want to do.”
Watch his full press conference from Thursday, July 9 in the player below:
And if you're feeling like some '80s nostalgia, here's a peek back at the iconic Back to the Future trailer:
- RELATED: Would Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issue another stay-at-home order if coronavirus numbers don't come down? Here's what he said
- RELATED: Gov. Mike DeWine: ‘We should not live our lives in fear’
- RELATED: Summit and Lorain County upgraded to Level 3 coronavirus risk, Cuyahoga County approaching Level 4
- RELATED: Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine urges importance of wearing masks in public: ‘We are at a much more dangerous time'
- RELATED: Have a summer vacation planned? Gov. DeWine advises Ohioans to reconsider travel to COVID-19 hot spots