OHIO, USA — The Ohio Department of Aging announced Thursday that it would be distributing $8.8 million across the state to provide meal assistance to older Ohioans impacted by the coroanvirus pandemic.
The funds were provided through the Families First Coronavirus Response Act and will be given to the state's 12 Area Agencies of Aging serving those most at risk for malnutrition and hunger.
“This funding will help us reach an even greater number of older Ohioans struggling to meet their daily nutritional needs during this extraordinary time,” said Governor Mike DeWine.
Ursel McElroy, Director of the Ohio Department of Aging says they'll be able to make good use of the money.
“Thanks to these dollars, our AAAs will be able to address waiting lists, expand the number of people receiving home-delivered meals, reach those who previously participated in congregate meals, and provide additional meals per day or per week," she said in a press release.
As of Thursday afternoon,the Ohio Department of Health reports that there are now 2,902 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the state. 81 people have died, 802 more have been hospitalized.
Click here for our special coronavirus section.
Watch DeWine's most recent press conference below: