COLUMBUS, Ohio — Editor's note: Video at the top of this story was originally published on Feb. 17, 2021.
We’ve all seen it. There is plenty of false or misleading information in the world of social media about the COVID-19 vaccine. Now, the Ohio Department of Health is preparing to launch a series of COVID-19 vaccine town halls that will focus on the facts while addressing several specific populations throughout the weeks ahead.
“It is important to share reliable, factual information about COVID-19 vaccines with all Ohioans,” said ODH Director Stephanie McCloud. “These vaccines are safe and effective. There are many myths about vaccines and about the COVID-19 vaccine, in particular. Having questions answered with credible information can impact whether someone chooses to get the vaccine. We are excited to provide accurate and reliable information from trusted sources.”
Although each of the vaccine town halls will be targeted toward a specific population, anybody is welcome to join.
“Each event will feature panelists, including medical experts, faith leaders, public health professionals and community leaders from the target population represented on that town hall,” officials said Friday.
- Monday, Feb. 22 at 6:30 p.m. – African-American Ohioans
- Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 6:30 p.m. – Hispanic/Latino Ohioans
- Monday, March 1 at 6:30 p.m. – Asian-American and Pacific-Islander Ohioans
- Tuesday, March 2 at 6:30 p.m. – Rural Ohioans
For those who don’t have internet access, the town halls are currently scheduled to air on public access television on the Ohio Channel as follows:
- Saturday, Feb. 27 at 6 p.m. – Ohio COVID-19 Vaccine Town Hall for African-Americans
- Saturday, Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. – Ohio COVID-19 Vaccine Town Hall for Hispanic/Latino Americans
- Sunday, Feb. 28 at 2 p.m. – Ohio COVID-19 Vaccine Town Hall for African-Americans
- Sunday, Feb. 28 at 3 p.m. – Ohio COVID-19 Vaccine Town Hall for Hispanic/Latino Americans
- Saturday, March 6 at 6 p.m. – Ohio COVID-19 Vaccine Town Hall for Asian-American and Pacific-Islander Ohioans
- Saturday, March 6 at 7 p.m. – Ohio COVID-19 Vaccine Town Hall for Rural Ohioans
- Sunday, March 7 at 2 p.m. – Ohio COVID-19 Vaccine Town Hall for Asian-American and Pacific-Islander Ohioans
- Sunday, March 7 at 3 p.m. – Ohio COVID-19 Vaccine Town Hall for Rural Ohioans
“As we strive toward health equity in our state, all Ohioans need accurate information about and access to COVID-19 vaccine,” McCloud said. “We are pleased to make vaccine more accessible by distributing it to every county in Ohio, supporting bilingual vaccination pop-up sites in underserved neighborhoods, recruiting vaccine providers in highly vulnerable areas, and planning a COVID-19 vaccine webpage specifically addressing equity.”