AKRON, Ohio — Editor's note: the video in the player above is from a previous story.
A 7-year-old boy in Akron was hospitalized with non-life-threatening after shooting himself, suffering a gunshot wound to his hand and leg Sunday night.
RELATED: More Akron news from WKYC
According to Akron Police, the child's mother, 42-year-old Deatrice Woodall, admitted to leaving the gun under a couch.
Following the search of a vehicle, police recovered a gun that Woodall had allegedly placed in the car, suspected methamphetamines, an undisclosed amount of cash and a digital scale. Woodall was subsequently arrested and charged with the following:
- Endangering Children
- Weapons Under Disability
- Trafficking in Drugs
- Possession of Drugs
- Possession of Marijuana
- Drug Paraphernalia
The victim and another child were transferred into the custody of Summit County Children’s Services.
More Akron coverage:
- Summit County man found guilty on 5 counts of rape, 4 counts of kidnapping
- Akron police: Driver killed after car hits stop sign and utility pole, catches fire on top of a parked vehicle
- Akron police investigating fatal crash on North Howard St.
- Suspect surrenders and admits to killing man on park bench in Akron
- Akron Zoo welcomes red wolf pups
- Summit County Public Health to begin administering doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine to children 12-years-and-older following CDC approval
- Elderly woman killed in Akron car crash
- Northeast Ohio cities prepare for American Rescue Plan funds to hit accounts in coming days
- Meet the Candidates: 3News' Russ Mitchell talks with John Barnes about his run to represent Ohio's 11th Congreessional District