AKRON, Ohio — Authorities are looking for the driver who left the scene after striking a 70-year-old man as he was crossing a street in Akron on Monday afternoon.
Police say it happened around 6:15 p.m. when the man was walking across the 1800 block of Manchester Road. The victim was taken to a nearby hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Police say the vehicle is described as “possibly a dark-colored car or truck” that should have front-end damage. Investigators are currently working to identify the driver and obtain more information about the vehicle.
“Evidence left at the scene is being processed,” police said in a press release Tuesday morning.
The victim’s name has not been released at this time. The Summit County Medical Examiner’s Office will conduct an autopsy.
Anybody with information is asked to call the Akron Police Department Detective Bureau at 330-375-2490. Tips can also be texted to 274637 using the word TIPSCO. All tipsters can remain anonymous.
No additional details were immediately available, but we will update this story if any updates are released.
- Fugitive Safe Surrender hotline created in Northeast Ohio
- Akron: 2 killed in Sunday night shootings
- Reward offered for information leading to arrest and conviction of Jackson Township shooting suspect
- Summit County issues stay-at-home advisory: Residents urged to only leave home for essential needs, work or school
- Uniontown family searching for answers after beehive damaged, set on fire