Breaking News
More () »

Akron police officer shoots suspect after alleged shooting in bar kills 21-year-old woman: Ohio BCI investigating

'At some point during the encounter, one officer discharged his duty weapon striking the suspect,' police said.

AKRON, Ohio — The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation has stepped in to investigate after an Akron police officer opened fire and shot a suspect early Friday morning.

It was just before 3 a.m. when police say Akron officers responded to a shooting that happened inside the Oasis Bar in the 600 block of North Howard Street.

“On the way to the call, officers learned that a 21-year-old woman was shot during an altercation inside the bathroom and was self-transported to the Cleveland Clinic Akron General Medical Center,” the Akron Police Department said in a press release. “She is listed in critical condition.”

The Akron Police Department confirmed that the 21-year-old woman who was shot inside of Oasis Bar on Friday had died at Cleveland Clinic Akron General Hospital early Saturday morning. 

The victim has been identified as Cyna Shepard. 

Upon their arrival at the scene, police say they were immediately flagged down by a witness who was a patron inside the bar. That person reportedly followed the suspect on foot after the shooting and identified her as the suspected shooter.

Police say officers noticed that the suspect -- a 21-year-old woman -- had a handgun and "ultimately chased her on foot to a parking lot in the 30 block of East Cuyahoga Falls Avenue."

That's where police say the suspected bar shooter turned toward them with a weapon in hand. "She raised her arm in a shooting fashion facing the officer," said Akron Police Chief Steve Mylett. "One officer engaged her with gunfire."

That officer fired three or four shots. 

Officers then administered first aid after the shooting, according to the Akron Police Department, and the woman was taken to a hospital where she is listed in stable condition.

According to the Akron Police Department, the 21-year-old suspect Gladys Ingersoll was released from the hospital on Wednesday, Aug. 23. Ingersoll was taken to the Summit County Jail and is being held on a murder charge.

The officer, who is a two-year veteran with the department, was not hurt during incident but has been placed on paid administrative leave per department policy.

“The investigation will be conducted by the Ohio Attorney General’s Office and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations for further review before being submitted to the Summit County Grand Jury for evaluation,” Akron police noted. “A separate internal investigation will be conducted by the Office of Professional Standards and Accountability. The results of their investigation will be provided to the police chief and the City of Akron Police Auditor for their review.”

Body camera video of the incident is expected to be released within seven days as required by Akron city ordinance.

BCI is also currently investigating the deadly shooting of 25-year-old Jayland Walker. He was shot and killed on June 27 when eight Akron police officers opened fire amid an overnight chase. Police say Walker had fired a shot at one point during the vehicle pursuit, but was unarmed at the time officers opened fire as the chase continued on foot. A gun was later found in Walker's vehicle, according to police.

In the meantime, police are calling for the gun violence to come to an end. "It’s going to take the entire community to reject the gun violence in our city. And to work collaboratively, together to find solutions – effective solutions," Mylett stated.


Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in an unrelated story on July 27, 2022.

SUBSCRIBE: Get the day's top headlines sent to your inbox each weekday morning with the free 3News to GO! newsletter

Want to be among the first to know the most important local and national news? Download the free WKYC app and get updates right on your phone: Android, Apple.

Before You Leave, Check This Out