AKRON, Ohio — The former site of Rolling Acres Mall in Akron has new life.
Amazon has officially opened its new 640,000 square-foot fulfillment center along Romig Road, the company announced early Tuesday morning.
“Employees at this site will play integral roles within Amazon’s customer fulfillment operations – everything from receiving inventory, picking and shipping customer orders and supporting network logistics by working alongside Amazon Robotics,” company officials said in a press release.
Amazon associates were welcomed to the building for the first time this month.
The company is still looking to fill positions at the new Akron fulfillment center. You can apply HERE. Pay starts at $15 an hour with benefits available on day one of employment.
In celebration of their opening, the company also announced a surprise $25,000 donation to the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank.
“Amazon has a great record of supporting hunger relief through America’s food banks,” said Dan Flowers, Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank President and CEO. “Before they even opened their new Akron distribution center, they reached out to us wanting to partner -- showing their commitment to the local community and its residents.”
Flowers said the donation will help the Foodbank provide the equivalent of 100,000 meals for local families.
Since 2010, Amazon has created more than 23,000 jobs in Ohio and invested more than $5.9 billion across the state.
- RELATED: Walmart to spread out deals to avoid Black Friday crowds
- RELATED: Kohl's reveals Black Friday ad with some deals starting now
- RELATED: Saving you money: 3 things to know before you shop for holiday gifts
- RELATED: Best Buy releases Black Friday ad, some early deals available now
- RELATED: Home Depot reveals 2020 Black Friday ad with deals starting Nov. 6