AKRON, Ohio — Editor's Note: The above video is from a previously published story
Traffic officers with the Akron Police Department are investigating a car crash that claimed the life of a 71 year-old Akron woman on Monday.
According to police reports, officers were called to the 100 block of West Cedar Street for a motor vehicle crash on Monday afternoon.
When police arrived, they found a 2011 Kia Optima that had struck a tree in front of a home on West Cedar Street. Police determined that the car was traveling eastbound on West Cedar in the right lane when she struck the tree.
The driver was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash.
The woman was transported to Cleveland Clinic Akron General Medical Center where she was pronounced deceased.
Police are trying to determine if the driver had a medical issue that might have contributed to the crash as speed does not appear to be a factor.
- 'Light Ohio Blue' campaign underway to honor law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty
- Police departments in Northeast Ohio are desperate to fill open officer positions
- Akron Police investigate after man found dead in Grace Park
- Reward being offered for information leading to arrest of 28-year-old Cleveland man : Fugitive of the Week
- Akron: 2-month-old seriously injured, man arrested
- Summit County televangelist Ernest Angley dies at 99
- Wadsworth police arrest seven in connection with disappearance and murder of 27-year-old man
Editor's Note: The below video is from a previously published story