AKRON, Ohio — It appears that at some point, longtime Akron staple Louie's Bar & Grille will reopen its doors. And when it does, it will be under new ownership.
On Monday, the Khoury family took to Facebook to announce that they have sold Louie's.
"Louie's Bar and Grille is now under new ownership," the Khoury family wrote in its post. "This page will soon be deactivated as they will likely be starting their own. We thank you for the many years of memories and wish the new owners the best of luck moving forward!"
After 28 years, Louie’s Bar & Grille closed its doors on October 18, 2020, citing issues involving COVID-19 and mandated seating capacity. The pandemic also resulted in Louie's making cuts to their staff.
“We will not be able to change this in our final days," the Khourys wrote when they announced the closing. "So please be patient with us, wait times may be quite long. We appreciate your business and will do our best to satisfy our customers. We (Khoury family and all employees) are hoping to have fun and enjoy our last days so please allow us to do so!”
When the Khoury family announced they were closing Louie's Bar & Grille last year, they indicated that a move towards food trucks might be possible. "We are considering a food truck in the future, not the near future but the thought has come up that it may be something we consider eventually," they wrote.
There was no mention of food trucks in the post announcing new ownership, nor was their any word about when the new owners might be looking to reopen Louie's Bar & Grille.
Here was a sample of the responses to the news that Louie's is now under new ownership:
- "Love and miss you guys! I’m glad it’s reopening. I hope they stay true to your menu and methods. Working for Louie and Kristi was an honor and I truly loved it!!!"
- "Thank you for many wonderful years of great food! I tried fried pickles there for the first time about 15 years ago and haven’t looked back! Lots of memories!"
- "This is good news but we hope they are able to keep your standards of great service and amazing food! Thanks for all the great memories!"
- "We have enjoyed the legacy that is Louie’s, and will miss it! But will never forget the food and companionship! Love to all!"
- "We will miss you so much. Thank you for all the good times."
- "Thanks for the great place to gather! Enjoy being retired!!"
- "Thank y’all for letting me share the best burgers on earth with my love ones"
Editor's Note: The below video is from a previously published story