AKRON, Ohio — A 17-year-old student was stabbed during an altercation that took place at Buchtel CLC in Akron on Wednesday.
According to Akron Police, officers responded to the school located in the 1000 block of Copley Road at approximately 1 p.m. after the School Resource Officer called for medical assistance for a student that had been stabbed. EMS arrived a few minutes later and transported the 17-year-old student to Akron Children's Hospital, where he is being treated for a non-life-threatening injury.
A preliminary investigation revealed that the student was stabbed during an altercation with two other students. The two other students left the school before responding officers arrived.
Akron Public Schools released a statement on Wednesday evening from Don Zesiger, the district's chief of security.
"We are grateful the wounds inflicted on one of our students today were not life-threatening. And, we ask again that, in the shared responsibility we all have for student safety, our families engage in ongoing conversations about violent behavior and the serious consequences of making the choices some young people are making. As a community, too, we must continue this discussion because violence is prevalent now in our neighborhoods and it is flowing into our schools. We simply cannot continue on this course."
An investigation remains ongoing and charges are pending. Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to contact the Akron Police Department Detective Bureau at 330-375-2490 or 330-375-2Tip.
More Akron coverage from WKYC:
- OHSAA state football championships: Meet the 4 Northeast Ohio teams who will be competing this weekend in Canton
- Akron food pantry buys new van to continue serving community after old vehicle was stolen
- WKYC Studios and Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank present ‘Double Dollar Day’ on Dec. 1
- Police: Teen killed in Akron shooting
- Akron firefighter hurt in early morning house fire
- OHSAA football playoffs: Scores from state semifinal matchups involving Northeast Ohio teams
- 73-year-old man in wheelchair punched and robbed of lottery ticket in Akron
- 'We will not stay silent any longer': What's next after Akron teachers vote to reject fact-finder's recommendations for new agreement by 99%
- Kent man accused of attacking woman while using racial slur in Akron sentenced to 180 days in jail
- Gas prices continue falling in Northeast Ohio: Down 20 cents in Cleveland, 19 cents in Akron
- History of Akron Civic Theatre: Landmarks in The Land
- OHSAA football regional finals: Scores from every matchup involving Northeast Ohio high schools
- I Promise students have 3 Questions for the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank
- MAC football: Akron at Buffalo postponed by winter storm