AKRON, Ohio — A 17-year-old boy is dead following a shooting in Akron on Sunday night.
The Summit County Medical Examiner’s Office says Kanyae Lamb of Akron died after being shot in the neck around 8:15 p.m. Sunday night. It is being investigated as a homicide.
When officers arrived, they found the victim outside with a gunshot wound. He was taken to Akron City Hospital where he later died at 8:43 p.m.
Kanyae Lamb was a student and football player at Akron's North High School. Akron Public Schools released the following statement to 3News:
"All of Akron Public Schools is feeling the loss of Kanyae Lamb and grieves for him—-yet another young person victimized by violence. We ask that you pray for Kanyae and his family, his fellow students, the teachers, coaches and staff. We offer our support to them in any way possible.
Akron Public Schools is offering support for grieving students and families. We ask those who need support to call North High School at 330.761.2665 to arrange for grief counseling."
Both the Summit County Medical Examiner’s Office and the Akron Police Department are investigating.
No additional details were immediately available, but we will update this story once more information is released.
- 3News Investigates: 2021 on track to be the deadliest year of violence against transgender people in the US
- Chagrin Falls clerk pleads no contest on charges of embezzling almost $250,000 over two decades
- Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22.5 years for the murder of George Floyd
- No injuries reported after fire crews battle large blaze at West Side Metals in Cleveland
- Biden targets law-breaking gun dealers in anti-crime plan
- Yes, a man is facing federal charges for stealing a lemur from a zoo
- Ohio Secretary of State: Safe At Home program for victims of domestic violence needs strengthening
- Body of missing man recovered from Chippewa Lake after overnight search
- Body of 50-year-old woman found at Geneva Township landfill