Breaking News
More () »

'They just don't seem to care': Tenants angry after being left without heat for days at Akron apartment complex

This comes months after a woman died after a carbon monoxide leak at the same complex.

AKRON, Ohio — Ashley Brown has been without heat in her apartment for days.

"They just don't seem to care about their tenants," she said of her landlords. 

She told 3News the heat went out on Christmas Eve, and it's been even more stressful for her and her 8-month-old daughter.

"We're monitoring her to make sure she's not getting too hot or too cold," she explained.

Brown is one of dozens of tenants at the Timber Top Apartments in Akron who say they were left battling the freezing temperatures inside their home. Management says frozen pipes burst and caused the heat issues that still haven't been fixed.

"You left people freezing, babies freezing," Brown's neighbor Starlene Angel angrily exclaimed.

Just over two months ago, a woman died in the same complex after a carbon monoxide leak from one building's boiler. Angel believes that entire situation could have been avoided.

"It never should have happened, never should have happened," she said. "There should be CO detectors on those boilers."

Several others, including Linda Brymer and her son, were exposed to the carbon monoxide leak and forced out of their home for weeks.

"We fell asleep in a carbon monoxide leak," Brymer recalled. "One person saved my life that night, saved my son's life that night."

Neighbors say they are frustrated that serious issues that pose big safety concerns continue to pile up and management doesn't seem to care. They fear another tragedy could happen.

"They need to come down here and fix the problems," Brymer said. "They need to come into our homes, see what we're living in, and correct the wrongs."

Timber Top management told 3News they are offering hotel rooms to tenants without heat, but the residents we spoke with claim they hadn't been notified of that at all.

In October, Danielle Novak, managing director of AIY Properties — the company that oversees the complex — told WKYC they would be purchasing carbon monoxide detectors for all 1,500 units. Tenants countered that still hasn't happened.

"They said that after the incident, all units were going to get monoxide detectors," Browns said. "None of us got them."

Novak says they are still working to fix the heat issue and hope to have it restored to all units "as soon as possible."

Before You Leave, Check This Out