AKRON, Ohio — Two Akron firefighters were injured in a house explosion early Monday morning, officials confirmed to 3News.
It happened just before 2:30 a.m. in the 1300 block of Winton Avenue.
"Fire companies arrived on scene to fire showing from the rear of the structure," according to a press release from the Akron Fire Department. "During initial size up and attack there was an explosion."
According to Lt. Tim Morrison with the Akron Fire Department, both firefighters sustained minor injuries and were taken to a local hospital for treatment. They were alert and talking after the incident.
One of the firefighters, Lauren Davis-Ritzinger, was released and actually returned to the scene later in the day. The other firefighter, Greg Oziembek, remains in an area hospital and is expected to be released on Tuesday.
"By divine intervention, leadership, training, and teamwork, this incident, although difficult, did not turn tragic," the Akron Fire Fighters Association Local 330 posted on Facebook. "Today's incident is a sobering reminder of the dangers the men and women of the Akron Fire Department, and fire departments across the country, face every day they come to work."
All occupants of the home were accounted for and no other injuries were reported.
The homeowner, who did not want to be identified, told 3News' January Keaton that he was out celebrating his birthday in Cleveland when he was notified about the explosion.
"I was in shock," he said when asked what his reaction was when he saw the damage. "I didn't even want to look at it. I don't know what I'm gonna do." Right now, the homeowner is going to stay with loved ones until he figures everything out."
We streamed live video from the scene of the fire, which you can watch in the player below:
Investigators do not yet know what caused the fire, but damage to the home is described as a "total loss."
No surrounding homes were affected by the fire. The gas was shut off on Winton Avenue, officials said.
Stay with WKYC.com for updates as we work to get more information on this story.
MORE HEADLINES HERE:
- Akron police release new images of suspect vehicle believed to be connected to deadly double shooting that killed 4-year-old girl, 40-year-old man
- 10-year-old boy hurt in Euclid overnight shooting: Police say boy was sleeping when gunshot went through home
- 4 escape early morning house fire in Cleveland, man reports sparks coming from window air conditioner
- 150-year-old Medina County home catches on fire Saturday morning
- 2 dead, 1 critically injured following fiery head-on crash in Ashland County
- Fire destroys vacant Elyria home