CANTON, Ohio — Crews responded early Wednesday afternoon to a massive fire near downtown Canton.
Witnesses first noticed smoke coming from the now-vacant light manufacturing building on 6th Street Northeast just before 11 a.m. The flames reached every floor of the four-story structure, which is considered "a probable total loss."
As multiple parts of the building collapsed, officials fought the fire "defensively" and even brought in a demolition crew to assist with an emergency tear down. Several area roads were closed, along with the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway tracks that run alongside the facility.
No one was hurt and the fire has since been contained. The Canton Fire Department later released several photos from the scene as well as drone video:
Multiple residents also pulled out their cameras as the flames ripped through the vacant structure:
PHOTOS: Massive fire in Canton
SUBSCRIBE: Get the day's top headlines sent to your inbox each weekday morning with the free 3News to GO! newsletter
- 3News Investigates: Cleveland police reform monitor to step down
- Suspect arrested after allegedly shooting and killing 31-year-old man in Canton
- Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose confirms precincts can't take absentee ballots on Election Day
- Life sentence for Painesville man guilty of murdering 22-year-old father of 2 in 2021
- Canton police officer who fatally shot man on New Year's Day cleared by internal review of wrongdoing