CANTON, Ohio — A man was severely burned and two dogs were killed as the result of a house fire that took place in Canton.
According to the City of Canton, the Canton Fire Department was dispatched to a fire at a two-and-a-half-story single-family home in the 1400 block of 7th St. NW just before 11:30 p.m. on Wednesday night. Upon arrival, fire crews located fire coming from the first-floor kitchen window.
While attacking the fire, crews found an unresponsive adult male in a first-floor hallway. After being quickly removed from the home, the man, who suffered severe burns, was transported to Cleveland Clinic Mercy Hospital and later transferred to the burn unit at Akron Children's Hospital.
Two dogs were also killed in the fire. No firefighters suffered injuries.
The building, which is valued at $16,900, suffered heavy fire damage, with loss to the home and its contents being valued at $21,000.
An investigation is underway.
More Canton coverage from WKYC:
- Fun Valentine's Day date ideas in Northeast Ohio
- Melt Bar & Grilled shuts down 2 locations, including one in Canton; plans for 'smaller footprint' with expanded menu
- 'We have been here too many times': Northeast Ohio leaders react to video showing deadly police beating of Tyre Nichols
- USFL's Pittsburgh Maulers and New Jersey Generals to play in Canton during 2023 season; Canton to also host championship game
- Winter weather advisory issued for Northeast Ohio: See how your county is impacted
- Canton police searching for suspect following two armed robberies
Editor's note: the videos in this story are from previous stories.