CANTON, Ohio — An 18-month-old boy has died following an incident in Canton on Monday afternoon.
Police say it was shortly before 5 p.m. when officers responded to the 1900 block of Maple Avenue NE in reference to an indecent exposure call “where a female was nude and walking on the sidewalk.”
Upon their arrival, officers say they made contact with Mary Guarendi-Walker who told authorities her son had been murdered.
“Officers rushed to the address and made entry through an unlocked window and discovered a small child beneath several large pieces of furniture,” according to a press release from the Canton Police Department. “The child was unconscious with apparent severe head and body trauma.”
The child was taken to Mercy Hospital where he later died. Detectives say it’s believed to be a domestic-related incident in which Guarendi-Walker, 26, allegedly assaulted her child with several pieces of furniture.
She was arrested on a charge of murder. A 29-year-old man, identified as Kevin Walker, was also arrested on allegations of obstructing justice.
The situation remains under investigation.
- Video released showing large fight inside Portage County Juvenile Detention Center
- FBI seeking 4 suspects believed to be involved in several carjackings across Northeast Ohio
- FBI warns of penalties for faking vaccine cards, as Washington lifts mask mandates
- 21 students charged in BGSU conduct code violations in Stone Foltz hazing death independent investigation
- Cleveland police identify suspect vehicle used in the carjacking of Gina DeJesus
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published on May 14, 2021.