ELYRIA, Ohio — Two people are in the hospital today after a serious accident on SR 82 in Elyria.
According to the Ohio Department of Public Safety and the Ohio State Highway Patrol, the Elyria Post is currently on the scene of a crash in Lorain County near Island Road in Eaton Township.
Officials tell 3News that a car hauling nine cars collided with a train, sending both the driver and passenger to University Hospitals Elyria. Both the driver and passenger are said to have only minor injuries.
A representative for CSX transportation- the maker of the train involved in the accident- told 3News that the incident happened just before 12 p.m. and no train-personnel were injured in the crash.
The area near SR 82 is closed by the train and the struck vehicle. ODOT is on scene and directing traffic. Officials are asking motorists to avoid the area if possible and there is no designated time for reopening.
The accident remains under investigation, according to officials.
This is a developing story. Check back with 3News for updates.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES:
- RELATED: 33-year-old Bay Village woman killed in head-on crash in Strongsville
- RELATED: Officials find body of missing 18-year-old Cleveland woman inside of car pulled from Lake Erie
- RELATED: 'Massive blaze' fought at Sandusky County recycling facility
- RELATED: 8-year-old girl dies after found in Akron house fire
- RELATED: Cleveland Clinic and IBM announce 10-year partnership; includes first quantum computer for healthcare research
- RELATED: COVID-19 in Ohio: State reports 2,458 new cases in last 24 hours
Editor's note: the video in the player below is from a story published on March 21, 2021.