CLEVELAND — A 23-year-old man was shot in downtown Cleveland Thursday afternoon, Cleveland Police confirm.
The victim was driving on West 9th Street near West Superior Avenue when he was shot in the hip while at a traffic light. According to Cleveland EMS, the victim was transported to Metro Health Medical Center in serious condition.
According to witnesses, the victim, was has not yet been identified, was shot in the middle of the road, exited the car and then collapsed. According to Cleveland EMS, the victim was transported to Metro Health Medical Center in critical condition.
The suspect, who pulled alongside the victim and fired shots, is believed to be driving a black Nissan Sentra without plates. The driver fled the scene over the Detroit / Superior bridge.
At this time, officials do not believe this was a random incident, and that the victim was targeted in connection to other crimes.
The shooting remains under investigation. Cleveland Police Detectives are working with the Real Time Crime Center to solve the case. Anyone with information please call 911 or report anonymously via Crimestoppers at 216-25-CRIME.
This is a developing story. Stay with 3News for updates as they become available.
- RELATED: Brisbane set to be named 2032 Olympics host next month
- RELATED: Secretary of State Frank LaRose to speak at traveling 'Ohio Flags of Honor Memorial' in Louisville on Friday
- RELATED: Spirit Airlines announces it is expanding service with flights from CLE to MIA
- RELATED: University Hospitals suspends employee amid charges of raping and kidnapping coworker
- RELATED: US officials extend expiration dates on J&J vaccine doses
- RELATED: Man killed, another injured in shooting at Cleveland Heights' Denison Park
- RELATED: Wife of drug kingpin 'El Chapo' pleads guilty to US charges
- RELATED: Cleveland Indians trade 1B Jake Bauers to Seattle Mariners
- RELATED: Life-size Triceratops roars into Cleveland Clinic Children's
- RELATED: Biden, Johnson to meet for the first time Thursday
- RELATED: LeBron James takes the court in new 'Space Jam 2' trailer
- RELATED: 'Stay tuned.' Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine says more COVID vaccine incentives are in the works as Vax-a-Million lottery nears end