CLEVELAND — A 3-year-old girl was taken to University Hospital early Wednesday morning around 2 a.m. in serious condition after she was shot in the leg.
The shooting happened in Cleveland at the Rainbow Terrance Apartments along the 7600 block of Garden Valley Avenue, according to Cleveland police and EMS officials.
A 28-year-old man was also shot in the arm, but EMS officials tell 3News he refused all care and treatment.
Police say a felonious assault / domestic violence / endangering children report has been made in connection with the incident. The suspect has not been arrested.
According to Cleveland Police officials, preliminary information indicated that there was an argument over a vehicle between the 3-year-old's mother and the 26-year-old male suspect.
The 26-year-old suspect allegedly fired shots and attempted to run over the victims with the vehicle. Further investigation also alleged that the 28-year-old male fired shots in the incident as well.
According to the Cleveland Police, this situation is still under investigation.
3News obtained a copy of a brief 911 call associated with the incident. Here’s a portion of the 911 call transcribed:
- Caller: “Somebody just shot this baby!”
- 911: “A baby? Like a newborn baby?”
- Caller: “A 3-year-old. A 3-year-old. A 3-year-old. They just shot her.”
Stay with 3News as we will update this story as new information is released.
- 15-year-old boy dies after being pulled from water off Lakeview Beach in Lorain; search suspended for missing 21-year-old man
- Police identify 16-year-old killed in shooting on Ohio Statehouse lawn
- Meet officer Moose: A 10-month-old emotional support K9 for the Cleveland Police Department
- Security expert weighs in on safer schools and red flags after Ulvade shooting: Mom Squad with 3News' Maureen Kyle
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in an unrelated story on May 31, 2022.
SUBSCRIBE: Get the day's top headlines sent to your inbox each weekday morning with the free 3News to GO! newsletter
Want to be among the first to know the most important local and national news? Download the free WKYC app and get updates right on your phone: Android, Apple.