Breaking News
More () »

Arthur Keith's family continues to fight for justice after fatal CMHA police shooting, calls for peace throughout community

Keith's family and friends held a rally outside of CMHA police headquarters Saturday.

CLEVELAND — The family of 19-year-old Arthur Keith, who was shot and killed by a Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority (CMHA) police officer, continues to fight for police accountability after a grand jury decided that the officer who shot the man acted "reasonably."

“My family is lost and confused,” Keith’s sister, Shantarita Hawkins, said.

“I want justice for my son. I really want justice for my son,” Keith’s mother said.

Keith’s family has held out in the fight for justice after he was killed last November.

Grainy video released Wednesday shows the moments just after the shooting happened.

“We expected justice for my brother,” Hawkins said.

On Wednesday, Ohio Attorney General, Dave Yost, announced a Cuyahoga county grand jury decided the officer won't be facing any charges, and that the officer acted “reasonably."

The officer involved said Keith pointed a gun at the officer, which was later found with Keith’s DNA, according to police.

“We cry every day, but you and your family are living your best life,” Hawkins said.

Keith's family, who has remained outspoken about the lack of witnesses called in the investigation, believe more accountability is still something they’ll fight more.

“This justice system is so jacked up, that y'all slap these cops on the wrist," Keith’s father, Scott Hawkins, said.

The rally the family led Saturday served as a call for justice, and a message for peace throughout the community.

“Put these guns down. Stop these killings,” Scott said.

“We are going to get justice for the community. We love you, bro,” family friend, David Fields, said.

An attorney told 3News the prosecutor's office would be the one to determine if the case will be reopened. There has not been any confirmation that will happen.

After Wednesday’s ruling, CMHA officials released statement that said in part that it was discussing the officer's future with the organization.

3News reached out for an update Saturday, but is waiting for a response.

Previous Reporting:

Paid Advertisement

Before You Leave, Check This Out