CLEVELAND — On Wednesday, the James Beard Foundation announced its 2023 Restaurant and Chef Awards semifinalists.
And Cleveland was well-represented on the list.
Altogether, one Cleveland restauranter and three chefs made the cut, with Brandon Chrostowski of EDWINS Leadership and Restaurant Institute (EDWINS Leadership and Restaurant Institute, edwins too, EDWINS Bakery, and others) being named a semifinalist in the "Outstanding Restauranter" category. Additionally, Allie La Valle-Umansky, Jeremy Umansky, and Kenny Scott of Larder Delicatessen & Bakery are semifinalists in the "Best Chef: Great Lakes (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio)" category.
This marks the second consecutive year that Chrostowski has been named a semifinalist in the category of "Outstanding Restauranter," which recognizes, "A restaurateur who uses their establishment(s) as a vehicle for building community, demonstrates creativity in entrepreneurship, integrity in restaurant operations, and is making efforts to create a sustainable work culture." Meanwhile, the trio of chefs at Larders was previously nominated in the "Best Chef: Great Lakes" category in 2020, with Larder also being named a semifinalist for "Best New Restaurant" in 2019.
Nominees for each award will be announced on Wednesday, March 29. The winners will then be celebrated at the James Beard Restaurant and Chef Awards Ceremony on Monday, June 5, 2023, at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.
More local coverage from WKYC:
- Founder of EDWINS Leadership & Restaurant Institute in Shaker Square heading to Ukraine to help feed people
- Uber driver carjacked at gunpoint by passenger in Shaker Heights, Guardians pitcher Shane Bieber shares wedding photos, and more: 3News Daily
- FirstEnergy's VP says company's subsidiary bled cash before alleged bribes from Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder
- Level 1 snow emergency activated in some Northeast Ohio counties: Here's what each level means for you
- LIVE UPDATES | Winter weather impacts in Northeast Ohio: Traffic and snow updates
- FORECAST | Snow yielding to scattered rain this afternoon
- 21-year-old fatally shot at gas station in Cleveland; suspects at large