CLEVELAND — Smoke could be seen filling the sky around downtown Cleveland for several miles Wednesday morning as firefighters battled flames at a junkyard along East 55th Street and Sweeney Avenue just south of Opportunity Corridor.
"Companies making progress," the Cleveland Fire Department tweeted along with video from the scene at 10:03 a.m. You can watch that video in the tweet below.
Fire officials tell 3News the situation started when a forklift carrying gasoline cans dropped one and ignited.
Cleveland fire officials say the nature of the incident, which they describe as a two-alarm situation, brought additional resources to the scene.
We're told nobody as hurt.
3News' Marisa Saenz captured this photo of the smoke in the sky:
- New details on pilot, passenger released after small plane crashes in Akron
- New fireworks law takes effect in Ohio: Here's what it means for you
- Ohio drivers can now renew their license online: Here's how the new BMV option works
- Restaurant owner Dan Deagan suffers serious injuries in Fourth of July house fire in Westlake; fundraiser set up for house recovery
- Akron woman dies after struck by bullet that came through window
- Watch: Cleveland firefighters battle flames overnight, cite reports of kids throwing fireworks into home
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in an unrelated story on July 5, 2022.