CLEVELAND — Editor's note: The video in the player above is from a story published on July 7, 2021.
The Cleveland Division of Police is investigating a shooting in which an off-duty officer shot a male in the parking lot of the Giant Eagle on West 117th Street.
According to officials, the incident happened around 8 p.m. Monday. Cleveland police provided new details with the following statement early Tuesday morning:
"Preliminary information indicates that the officer intervened in an argument inside of the store between two males and was informed that one of the males had a firearm. The officer encountered the male suspect in the parking lot. The suspect produced a firearm and shots were fired by the officer. The 21-year-old male suspect was shot in his hip and was conveyed to MetroHealth Medical Center for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries where he remains confined. A firearm was recovered at the scene. This matter remains under investigation."
SUBSCRIBE: Get the day's top headlines sent to your email inbox each weekday morning with the 3News to GO! newsletter
Jeff Follmer, president of the Cleveland Police Union, tells 3News that the officer was not injured in the incident.
Following the incident, Giant Eagle officials released the following statement to 3News:
"We are working closely with Cleveland Police to provide as much information as possible regarding the shooting that took place in the parking lot of our West 117th Street Giant Eagle this evening.
The Giant Eagle closed shortly after the incident occurred. The store plans to reopen at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning."
This is a developing story. Check back with 3News for more details as they are made available.
Want to be the first to hear about national and local headlines? Download the free WKYC app (Apple users download HERE, Android users download HERE).
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES:
- RELATED: 'Top to bottom, good feeling' | Jimmy's Take on Nick Chubb's 3-year extension with the Cleveland Browns
- RELATED: 3News Investigates: Hazing statistics from Ohio's college campuses
- RELATED: Ohio schools, teachers cope with uncertainty as mask guidelines continue to change
- RELATED: Browns RB Nick Chubb after extension: 'Cleveland's where I want to be'
- RELATED: Zanesville singer known as Nightbirde ends ‘America’s Got Talent’ journey as health takes ‘turn for the worse’
- RELATED: Elyria police: Officer shoots armed man during encounter after 'disturbance' report
- RELATED: Cleveland City Council President Kevin Kelley reacts to Ken Johnson's conviction on federal corruption charges