CLEVELAND — A fire at Saint Rocco's church in Cleveland, on Fulton Avenue, started in the gym ceiling and sent a firefighter to the hospital Saturday night, according to the Cleveland Divsion of Fire.
They also say 40 firefighters fought the flames that began around 7:30 p.m. The injured firefighter is from Rescue Squad 2, and was transported to the hospital in stable condition for an injury to the face.
The early cause of the fire is accidental, possibly from an electrical issue. Cleveland Fire estimates $2,500 in damage. The Cleveland Catholic Diocese had no additional comment on the fire as of Sunday morning.
Saint Rocco's is the oldest Italian parish on Cleveland’s west side, established in 1914, according to the company's website.
This is a developing story. Stay with 3News for more details as they become available.
- Over 70 people reportedly displaced following massive house fire in North Carolina; Four other homes damaged
- Police use pepper spray, pepper balls to disperse crowd of up to 1,000 juveniles during Pinecrest incident
- Cleveland man indicted for starting fire inside Rebol during May 2020 George Floyd protests
- Fireworks shortage and potential Ohio law change could impact your July 4th celebrations
- Canton announces July 4 fireworks show at McKinley Presidential Library & Museum
- When are Akron's July 4 fireworks? City launching four separate displays in different neighborhoods
- 4 found dead in Jackson Township home, police say
- Severe Thunderstorm Watch issued for several parts of Northeast Ohio
Editor's Note: The below video is from a previously published, unrelated story